[TriZPUG] Open Data and Last Night's Project Night

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Fri Jun 14 17:08:10 CEST 2013

On 6/13/2013 10:47 PM, Eric Leary wrote:
> I didn't know Jason Hare was a
> "Python" guy.

Plone guy even. The man behind http://data.raleighnc.gov/ . Soon to be
rejoining our email list.

> Geospatial is really a driver of this whole open data movement.

Yeah, this is kinda unfortunate. Because the key to making more data
open is to make it not personally identifiable. And location is often a
part of personally identifiable, or the part that makes the data
interesting.

Like when were were talking about voting data. It doesn't help to take
the address on a voting record and reduce it down to just "Carrboro."
The fact that the voting data show what street and neighborhood the data
comes from is what makes it useful. And once I know the street or even
the neighborhood, there are ways I can reverse engineer the personally
identifiable part if I don't have it.

And when you look at a lot of open data visualizations, they are all
about the map, especially heat maps.

So there are a lot of open data tools like pycsw that assume I have
location data, and are only very useful if I have location data. When in
reality, there's a lot of data that would be useful to open up that has
nothing to do with location.

Chris Calloway http://nccoos.org/Members/cbc
office: 3313 Venable Hall   phone: (919) 599-3530