[TriZPUG] [newbie] packaging and distribution

Tom Roche Tom_Roche at pobox.com
Mon Dec 19 17:57:04 CET 2011

Tom Roche Mon, 19 Dec 2011 11:27:15 -0500
>> My group has a proposal which seems feasible, but that would involve
>> a set of remote users of varying computeracy.

Jay Lyerly Mon Dec 19 17:37:05 CET 2011 (rearranged)
> Sounds like you're on windows.

<pause for smoke to clear :-> I am, and I suspect our users will be,
on linux. However there may be a few Appleistas, so

> - windows - py2exe
> - mac - py2app
> - unix - python's freeze utility

... I guess I was mentally excluding compile-to-binary solutions,
thinking more about ways the user could setup something like a
virtual environment inside python. Can one easily make/distribute
something like that? Would that be less feasible/supportable than
distributing a binary? If not, 'freeze' is definitely an option.

TIA, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com>