[TriZPUG] managing python versions as well as package versions, or "up-to-speed for the ecosystem"

Josh Johnson josh_johnson at unc.edu
Wed Aug 3 22:01:02 CEST 2011

1. I haven't had trouble getting multiple pythons to install in Ubuntu.
They play pretty well together. The hard part was finding the right apt
repository with the right versions in it.

2. Maybe install a specific version of yatiblog (no experience with that
package myself), that doesn't have a requirement on whatever is causing
the version conflict?

3. Typically, that would entail just a link to
http://www.python.org/download/ and a note saying "or, use your system
package manager to install".

I'd suggest virtualenv in general, but like you mentioned it may not fix
your problem. You can try compiling python from source (installing the
build-dep for whatever version(s) of python are available for your
distro might help smooth out the process)

I can say I've never, ever had a version conflict when installing a
package :). It might be silly, but maybe try easy_install instead of pip?

HTH,
JJ

Josh Johnson
Applications Analyst