[TriZPUG] wxPython compile doesn't install wx module

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sun Mar 7 02:58:28 CET 2010

amy running python-2.6.4 on a linux-2.4 and a linux-2.6
machine.

wxPython (v2.8.10.1) is a prerequesite for matplotlib
(v0.99.1.1)

wxPython uses a configure script which runs fine and finds
the installed files in my machine. Both make and make
install run fine. Lots of /usr/lib/libwx* and
/usr/include/wx/ files are installed but nothing appears in
/usr/lib/python2.6/ or /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/

I then try to compile matplotlib, which uses `python
setup.py configure`. To test for the presence of wxPython,
the setupext.py file does

import wx

which fails (this also fails when running python in
immediate mode)

I looked in the configure script for wxPython, incase there
was a "do not build python modules" mode. The closest I came
was "--enable-plugins" which I turned on to no effect.

Anyone have any ideas why my wxPython build didn't produce a
wx module?

THanks Joe