[TriZPUG] Compiling Python for WinCE with X86 processor (not ARM)

Aaron Snipes atsnipes at ncsu.edu
Mon Jun 14 19:29:20 CEST 2010

Hi all,
      I'm an intern in Raleigh and a python newbie.  I am also a
senior in computer engineering at NC State (GO PACK!).  At work we're
having a difficult time finding a compiling our python code for a
target Windows CE device with an x86 processor.  From my research I've
noticed that their isn't a big "need" for this compiler.  The
"PythonCE" compilers I've found are designed ONLY for ARM processors.
I have used a C/C++ compiler for Windows CE (the i386-mingw32ce
compiler) which successfully compiled some of our other C code for the
device successfully.   We then assumed another direction may be to
find a Python-to-C or Python-to-Java compiler and then compile the
interpreted code  for our target x86 device.  I have tried ShedSkin, a
Python-to-C++ compiler, but it has many problems compiling the code
such as it won't compile some of the included libraries we need.  This
tells me that the approach to "interpret Python into another language
and then compile that language for Windows CE x86" may be a bad
approach.  Any direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Aaron Snipes
atsnipes at Ncsu.edu