[TriZPUG] Slow networking to localhost

Jim Allman jim at ibang.com
Fri Jul 30 15:23:12 CEST 2010

On Jul 30, 2010, at 2:04 AM, Joseph Tate wrote:

> I'm running into a weird networking issue with one of my web apps.
> According to cProfiler, for the slow install, 91.56% of the time is
> being spent in "select.select".  Strace shows that the select method
> is timing out multiple times, as if the traffic between the browser
> and my app is stalling.

Joseph,

Are both versions of the app using the same data? If 'select.select' is an operation that involves querying a database, it's possible that your "custom" web app is timing out before the response is complete. This might lead to retries as your describing, until you basically "get lucky" and make it across the finish line in time.

(I see this a lot in PHP websites, since its default timeout on web requests is very short.)

 =jimA=