[triangle-zpug] UML + AXG -- Re: Plone Jam 3/20/08

Robert Geiger robert at geigers.net
Thu Mar 27 14:49:27 CET 2008

Guys,

Regarding Design and Tools....

I've been working with a group of 30 analysts documenting the re-design
(BPR) of an entire state agency (VA DMV).  I've been mentoring and
coaching them using ICONIX Process and they've been working with over a
hundred users documenting use cases.

We ran a sub-project off the use cases for processing Grant processing.
  We took the use cases, did Robustness diagrams on them, GENERATED
Sequence diagrams, mapped the message conversations between the objects
and GENERATED the shell classes AND the test case classes (one test per
controller).   The coders took the shells and filled in the methods and
knit it together per the sequence diagrams et al, which let them know
exactly what they were supposed to be doing!

The developers were PART of the technical design process from Robustness
onward.  Working with the users and analysts, the developers could
understand the USER's scenarios very clearly and were delighted to be
part of this kind of effort.  They had never done anything like it before!

Needless to say, these kind of user driven design and development
efforts are a RAGING SUCCESS when you use the methodology, as was this
particular one.

As to the tools, I've checked out Argo and other free and $ tools.  Most
are not quite robust enough yet to support the entire ICONIX process.
We used Enterprise Architect which, given it's capabilities for the
price, is a HUGE bargain.  It supports PYTHON and generates code from
template driven scripts that can be modified to generate any kind of
code.  If they were modified to generate Zope/Plone code, it would be an
end-to-end solution for user/developer collaborative design from use
case through coding for Zope/Plone.

Either this, or maybe the free tools can add a couple features in the
right place...doesn't matter to me!

I'd love to come by and talk about the possibilities at the next
meeting.  Anybody want to hear more?

Thanks, and best regards to you all!

Robert Geiger
Http://robert.geigers.net