[triangle-zpug] FYI - mailman host is moving

T. Bryan tbryan at python.net
Sat Sep 22 14:29:39 CEST 2007

Just an FYI for the group.  This mailing list has been kindly hosted by the
folks who run http://starship.python.net/ since the start of the group many
years ago.  The domain will be moved to a different machine at a different
hosting company before the end of the month.  The hope is that the move will
happen without a glitch, but there is a window of time during the last week
of September or the first week of October where someone might mess up a DNS
change or configure mailman incorrectly on the new host.

As a further aside, as Python has grown, there is less need in the Python
community for http://starship.python.net/.  It was founded by Christian
Tsimer at a time when few hosting companies provided Python.  It was
intended to be a place where the community could show off all of the cool
things people could do with Python.  Since it's now much easier to find
Python and even Plone hosting providers and since the software world now
knows how cool Python is, the long term existence of
http://starship.python.net/ is in some doubt.  I don't think that it will go
away any time soon, but it might be good for TriZPUG to look around for
another mailing list host.  Maybe we could run Mailman on trizpug.org.
Anyway, it might be a good idea to migrate the list in the next year or two.
  In any case, it's probably good to have a contingency plan for the list so
that we don't have to scramble if we get word that
http://starship.python.net/ is going away at some point.

Regards,
---Tom