[triangle-zpug] Installing python/Numeric/ScientificPython

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue Mar 27 18:13:02 CEST 2007

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007, Mark R. Biggers wrote:

> Hi Joe,
>
> Bring this question to the TriZPUG meeting, and I am sure someone can
> personally assist you in getting this resolved.

thanks

> In my experience building Python 2.x to a "non-standard" (*not* /usr, or
> /usr/local) location, the resulting 'python' will not be clued into where
> its shared libraries are installed.

I get the same results in /usr or /usr/local. I'm just
building it in my home directory so as not to keep
reinstalling different builds of python on top of current
python users.

The problem is an undefined variable in a library, not a
missing library (all of which are found).

> The Python 2.x build does not use 'libtool' (one option).
> The main Py Makefile doesn't define gcc-linker info,
> neccessary for 'python' to find shared-libs.

OK. I've noticed the build is a little different to the ones
I'm used to.

> Here's the Python-build trick (defn of BLDLIBRARY), but it really does
> require at least a base understanding of how gcc/ld finds shared libs...
>
> # in a "shell-script", or copy+paste to a shell:
>
> PREFIX=/opt   ## or /home/zzz/usr, or....
>
> OPTS="-Wall -O2 -march=i686 -D_GNU_SOURCE -fPIC"
>
> OPTS_C="--with-threads --with-pymalloc --prefix=$PREFIX --enable-shared --enable-unicode=ucs4"
>
> BLDLIBRARY="-Xlinker -rpath -Xlinker $PREFIX/lib -L. -lpython2.4"
>
> cd Python-2.4.4
> env OPT="$OPTS" ./configure $OPTS_C
>
> make OPT="$OPTS" BLDLIBRARY="$BLDLIBRARY"
>
> I hope this helps.

OK will give it a go

Thanks Joe