[Tkinter-discuss] Revisiting the adage of GUI thread

Nam Nguyen namnguyen at google.com
Mon Mar 26 15:12:31 EDT 2018

Hi,

The adage often goes something like this:

Do all GUI actions in a GUI thread (usually main thread), do I/O in
different threads.

While it is a good wisdom to apply blanketly, I'm curious about bad outcome
from not following that advice. Other than the obvious blocking nature of
the event loop, which is why we need threads to work with it, is there any
other downside from directly creating, modifying, or destroying Tk objects
(such as widgets, variables) in non-GUI threads?

Thanks!
Nam