[Tkinter-discuss] JPEGs

Michael Lange klappnase at web.de
Mon Nov 16 14:14:08 EST 2015

Hi,

On Mon, 16 Nov 2015 11:50:44 -0700
Robert Greschke <bob at passcal.nmt.edu> wrote:

> Why can't I go
>
> Pic = PhotoImage(file = "./lp.jpg")
>
> ?
>
> Are JPEGs not popular enough yet, or am I missing something? This is
> one of the craziest restrictions to Tkinter I can think of. I wish I
> knew how to fix it, but I just ain't smart enough.
>
> No, I don't want to use PIL. I'd like to make imbedded help that is
> just simple text-picture-text-picture, instead of just text. Yes, the
> pictures could be PNGs, but, again, are JPEGs just not popular enough,
> or is it a licensing thing of some sort?

reading https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG#Patent_issues I figure that
it might be the latter.
If you don't want to use PIL, maybe tkimg is an option for you? If not I
am afraid you will have to stick with PNGs or GIFs.

Best regards

	"The combination of a number of things to make existence
worthwhile." "Yes, the philosophy of 'none,' meaning 'all.'"
		-- Spock and Lincoln, "The Savage Curtain", stardate
5906.4