[Tkinter-discuss] Tkinter colours lighter on OS X

Patrick Robertson robertson.patrick at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 19:11:30 CET 2015

Thanks both Kevin and Mick,

Mick - it’s always nice to know I’m not the only one with the problem!
Kevin - your solution worked.

I initially installed ActiveTcl 8.6, which it seems isn’t compatible with Python 2/3
At the time of writing ActiveTcl 8.4/8.5 (32 bit/64 bit) are recommended for OS X
For anybody with this problem in the future I recommend reading:
https://www.python.org/download/mac/tcltk/

It explains which version of ActiveTcl to install for which OS/Python combination, as well as giving information on how Python links to Tkinter/tkinter:

> The Python for Mac OS X installers downloaded from this website dynamically link at runtime to Tcl/Tk Mac OS X frameworks. …
There’s more on that page above

PS - I’ve been using Tkinter since 2015. It’s still great ;-)