[Tkinter-discuss] Checkbutton indicatoron ignored on Mac

Russell E. Owen rowen at uw.edu
Tue Oct 30 21:16:31 CET 2012

In article <508FF0E3.5080000 at codebykevin.com>,
 Kevin Walzer <kw at codebykevin.com> wrote:

> On 10/29/12 4:39 PM, Russell E. Owen wrote:
>

> > It also shows up in tcl (e.g. paste this into wish):
> > checkbutton .b -text "Foo" -indicatoron 0
> > pack .b
>
> I see the difference here between Tk-Cocoa and 8.4/Carbon. Cocoa does
> indeed ignore the -indicatoron flag.  Not sure yet if this is a bug that
> can be fixed or not, but I'll take a closer look at the underlying code.

Thank you.

As another, possibly irrelevant datapoint: the themed checkbutton widget
does not have the indicatoron option. So I figure I'd better get used to
not using that option, but it's a pity: I find bi-state buttons very
useful.

> > P.S. While we're on MacOS X bugs, here's another which I also reported
> > to the Tcl/Tk project: the width of tk_menubutton is wrong on MacOS X
> > (too narrow by several characters). Here's tcl code for that:
> >
> > tk_optionMenu .om omVar DC1 DC2 DC3
> > .om configure -width 3 # -indicatoron 0
> > pack .om
>
> I see the clipping here, but that can be avoided by adding -fill both
> -expand yes to the config flags when the menu button is packed. This is
> probably a function of how Cocoa handles metrics and it may not be
> something that can be fixed, but I'll see what I can find.

I'm not sure I understand; you are talking about the way the menubutton
is packed inside the tk_optionMenu widget? Is this something I could
control in Tkinter?

-- Russell