[Tkinter-discuss] Tkinter and Alt bindings

Michael Lange klappnase at web.de
Thu Feb 9 11:22:47 CET 2012

Hi,

Thus spoketh Russell Adams <RLAdams at AdamsInfoServ.Com>
unto us on Wed, 8 Feb 2012 07:51:21 -0600:

> I'd love to find a way to trace what's happening, but I'm not familiar
> enough with Tkinter.
>
> I started checking xmodmap and pursuing the xev avenue, but cannot
> explain the behavior.
>
> At this I'm isolating that not everyone has this issue.

ok, maybe we can try to track down the problem.
First, I am quite sure that it is not a python problem but rather one
with Tk and your WM, so we can try the most simple example in tcl:

##########
entry .e
grid .e -column 0 -row 0
bind . <Alt-s> {puts "Alt-s pressed"}
focus .e
#########

If you store this as test.tcl and then run it with $ wish test.tcl , is it
the same as in your Python example?

Then, which window manager are you using, and can you try it with some
other WM(s) , does the problem persist then?

Then, which version of Tk are you using, and, if your distribution offers
this, can you try and install a second Tcl/Tk-version and try if it is the
same with this one?

Regards

Knowledge, sir, should be free to all!
		-- Harry Mudd, "I, Mudd", stardate 4513.3