[Tkinter-discuss] Python 2.7: Themed "common dialog" tkinter interfaces via Ttk

python at bdurham.com python at bdurham.com
Fri Oct 22 19:20:09 CEST 2010

I'm cross posting the following question from this thread on
stackoverflow.com:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3991130/python-2-7-themed-comm
on-dialog-tkinter-interfaces-via-ttk

Python 2.7 (32-bit) Windows: We're experimenting with Python
2.7's support for themed Tkinter (ttk) for simple GUI's and have
come away very impressed!! The one area where the new theme
support seems to have come up short is how OS specific common
dialogs are wrapped.
In other words, the MESSAGEBOX and COLORCHOOSER common dialogs
have "ugly" looking Win 95 style blocky looking buttons vs. the
themed (rounded/gradient) buttons that normally show up on these
common dialogs under XP, Vista, and Windows 7. (I'm testing on
all 3 platforms with identical, un-themed results).
Note: The filedialog common dialogs (askopenfilename,
askopenfilenames, asksaveasfilename, askdirectory) are all
properly themed.
import tkMessageBox as messagebox
messagebox.showinfo()
import tkColorChooser as colorchooser
color = colorchooser.askcolor( parent=root, title='Customize
colors' )
Any ideas on what's required to get Tkinter's MESSAGEBOX and
COLORCHOOSER common dialogs to be OS theme compatible (at least
under Windows XP or higher)?

Note that Rafe Kettler just filed the following Bug Report on
this:
http://bugs.python.org/issue10171

Regards,
Malcolm