[Tkinter-discuss] Possible to stack frames with frame transparency? (create widget w/gradient background)

python at bdurham.com python at bdurham.com
Wed Nov 3 19:55:52 CET 2010

New to Tkinter: Is it possible to stack frames on top of one
another and if so, can frames have transparency?

My goal is to create widgets with gradient backgrounds. I was
hoping I could do this by placing an image in a frame and then
placing an identical sized frame over this image frame. This
on-top frame would contain all my child widgets.

Details: Is it possible to place a frame on top of an image
background? From my reading, the only way to do this appears to
be to use a Canvas as my container (vs. a Frame). The downside to
using a canvas appears to be that Labels do not have transparent
backgrounds so any text I place in such a (canvas based)
container must be placed with Canvas.create_text() vs. laid out
via one of the pack/grid/place layout managers. Am I
understanding this right?

Thank you,
Malcolm