[Tkinter-discuss] Tkinter with Tk8.5 ?

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Thu Jul 10 19:20:56 CEST 2008

Michael O'Donnell wrote:

>   Does anyone know when Tkinter will be released using Tk8.5?
> (My Tkinter application does not display unicode text on MacOSX
> and I understand this is fixed in tk8.5).
>
> Barring that,has anyone successfully linked the TK8.5 libraries
> to python 2.5 under MacOSX?

To do this, you'll have to build Python yourself from source and link it
against a framework build of Tk 8.5.

Here's how I do it:

1. Install or build Tk 8.5 in /Library/Frameworks.
2. Download the Python source code.
3. In setup.py, comment out "/System/Library/Frameworks" as a place to
look for Tk--this will keep Python from linking about the Tk installed
by default on OS X (8.4.7).
4. Build as usual. It will link to Tk 8.5.

There is currently no special support in Tkinter for some of the new
goodies in Tk 8.5, such as the native theming stuff, but that's in the
works:

http://gpolo.ath.cx:81/projects/ttk_to_tkinter/

Hope this helps,
Kevin