[Tkinter-discuss] Open a Dos prompt(cmd.exe) using a GUI, thus allowing user to execute batchfile

Snakey darr_low at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 15 11:29:13 CEST 2008

I have found a way using subprocess.popen( 'cmd.exe' ).  This will spawn a
new process that does not hang the mainloop of the parent process.  However,
I also need to redirect everything the user types in the dos box back to be
processed by my GUI, without hanging the GUI when the piping is taking
place.  Can this be done??

I tried >>>

s = subprocess.popen( 'cmd.exe', stdout=subprocess.PIPE )

# when the new process ends, I do the following:

out = s.stdout.readlines()
# i do some string action on  out