[Tkinter-discuss] thread module

Amit Finkler amit.finkler at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 09:41:05 CEST 2008

Tim Jones wrote:

> On Apr 1, 2008, at 6:05 AM, Amit Finkler wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Following a previous post of mine (http://mail.python.org/pipermail/
>> tkinter-discuss/2008-March/001320.html), I finally managed to start
>> a new thread using the thread module. This new thread is started by
>> clicking on a button on my Tkinter GUI and it just continuously
>> plots a graph using matplotlib.
>>
>> Now, however, a new problem arises - how does one close the
>> thread??? The function this thread starts has a Ctrl-C Exception
>> which works fine if the thread module is not used. Now, however,
>> pressing Ctrl-C does nothing. The thread has a life of its own!!!
>>
>> Your help will be greatly appreciated.
>>

> The simplest solution is to set a global flag "QuitThread" and set it
> to False while running.  Then, allow the user to click a button and
> then set the value to True.  In the thread, check the value of the
> variable and exit if it's True.
>
> HTH,
> Tim

Thanks for the tip. It seems like a reasonable solution. One question
remains: after I set the flag to be true, how do I exit the thread? I
tried to check whether the flag is true and then execute thread.exit().
Nothing happened, though. The graph continued on plotting and obviously
the thread kept on running.

Thanks,

Amit.