[Tkinter-discuss] Tkinter and IDLE

dblank at brynmawr.edu dblank at brynmawr.edu
Fri Oct 20 15:04:15 CEST 2006

This may be more of an IDLE question than Tkinter, but it does involve the
technology of running Tkinter so I thought I'd try here.

What is the best way to popup a non-application (not running mainloop) Tk
window in IDLE?

I have found that code that just makes a Tkinter window behaves
differently in IDLE depending on whether IDLE is running with subprocesses
or not. Furthermore, it seems yet-again different if one is running
pythonw.exe in Windows.

Is there one way that works in all situations? Or is there a standard way
of telling which IDLE mode (subprocesses or non-subprocesses) mode we are
running, and then do different things based on the mode?

I'm trying to show a window that has a button that can be pushed, but
still allow people to type at the IDLE shell prompt. Maybe I've missed
some documentation somewhere that describes the pitfalls of using Tkinter
with IDLE?

Thanks for any leads,

-Doug