[Tkinter-discuss] Tkinter-discuss Digest, Vol 33, Issue 8

Tony Cappellini cappy2112 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 18:50:52 CET 2006

Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 10:27:46 +0100
From: Fredrik Lundh <fredrik at pythonware.com>
Subject: Re: [Tkinter-discuss] Method to call when gui is first
       displayed
To: tkinter-discuss at python.org

here's one way to do it:

    root = Tk()

    # populate UI

    # run event loop until widget is properly displayed
    root.wait_visibility()

    # start talking to CVS

    root.mainloop()

I've tried this in the interpeter- outside of the actual program I am
targeting- for the moment.
When I call Tk() a blank tk window appears.
When I call wait_visibility() the call never returns.

However, since the call to Tk() pops up the window- my menu should be
visible, and the program status bar as well.
So I'll try this in my target program as soon as I fix a few errors.

BTW I'm stick using python 2.3.4 with whatever version of Tk goes with it-
perhaps there are some behavioral differences.

thanks!