[Tkinter-discuss] Problem with 'cascade' and state=disabled (maybe)

Henry S. Thompson ht at inf.ed.ac.uk
Fri Feb 4 09:50:24 CET 2005

Python2.3, Tk 8.3, RedHat Linux.

I spent most of yesterday chasing a _very_ obscure menu problem.  Core
symptom: after some incremental menu building followed by cascaded
entry enabling/disabling, menu entry 0, although claiming
(correctly, as I built it) to be of type 'cascade', returns

  <cmdName object at 0x0829fcc8>

as the value of entrycget(0,'menu'), instead of

  .xyzzy.foobar....

I _cannot_ find anything in my code which is doing this, I can't even
localise it very well, it seems to be asynchronous, but adding
debugging printouts in Tkinter.Misc._configure confirms that I'm not
changing the entry explicitly.

Does this ring _any_ bells with anyone?  I've installed a workaround
to cache the correct value of 'menu' and re-install it whenever it
gets trashed, but that leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

Thanks

ht (new to this list, but long-time Python/XML/Tkinter developer)
                     Half-time member of W3C Team
            Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht at inf.ed.ac.uk