[stdlib-sig] A game in the standard library

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Sat Aug 18 11:38:11 CEST 2012

Mark Summerfield wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 22:11:40 -0400
> "R. David Murray" <rdmurray at bitdance.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 18:33:58 -0700, Ned Deily <nad at acm.org> wrote:
>>> In article
>>> <CAP1=2W6eSDbP9W6EZWP7=PuYy8pa8Dg+MA1SyJ35LEwQOZ_zZw at mail.gmail.com>,
>>>
>>> Rather than being totally nuked in 3.2, didn't the old Demos directory
>>> just get pruned and cleaned up and then moved to underneath the Tools
>>> directory as Tools/demo?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> Not only that, but there are already some tkinter demos, though they
>> are not games.
>
> I have Perl/Tk versions of snake and tetris that're ~1500 LOC. If I
> dropped the handling of options and made them all constants (board size,
> timing interval, board colors, etc.) that would take them down to ~950
> LOC.
>
> I would be happy to port one of them to Python/Tkinter and I'm pretty
> sure I could reduce the size even further without compromising on
> readability.
>
> I also have a Python/Tkinter version of tilefall (samegame) that's ~1200
> LOC, but again, if I made all the options constants & did some other
> simplifications to the GUI I could easily get that down to ~800 LOC or
> less.
>
> Or maybe the person who suggested adding a game to Tools/demo already
> has their own game in mind:-)

Please note that we cannot add games to Python for which
the owners of the IP claim copyrights, patents or trademarks.
Tetris is one such game.

Tic-tac-toe would be a good example of
a popular game (even if simplistic) that does not have such
problems (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tic-tac-toe).
It's also simple enough to demonstrate writing such
games in Python.

Snake would work as well, since the company owning the
IP closed down in 1984
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_%28game%29).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Aug 18 2012)
2012-08-25: FrOSCon, St. Augustin, Germany ...              7 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/