[stdlib-sig] logging

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Sep 18 18:58:49 CEST 2009

Thomas Heller <theller at ...> writes:

> Vinay, you get a bug thumbs-up from me too, for the logging package
> and your maintainance and support.

Thanks.

> Although I like and use logging, I belong more to the hatred people
> for the logging configuration.

I don't blame you. It's partly, though not all, a ConfigParser thing. The
difficulty for me with configuration is, there's very little chance of a
consensus for how it should work. Everybody will have their opinion, they'll all
have good points, but nobody will agree :-( Backwards compatibility might be
manageable, if we stick to a ConfigParser format and introduce a "version" key
somewhere.

> What I am really missing is a way to do basic logging configuration (calling
> logging.basicConfig(...)) with some command line args for the Python
> interpreter.  I have suggested that before IIRC, but it doesn't seem to fly.

Can you point me to a ticket or post about it?

Thanks and regards,

Vinay Sajip