[stdlib-sig] standardizing the deprecation policy (and how noisy they are)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Nov 9 23:16:02 CET 2009

Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> writes:

> We cannot expect all developers to release a new version just before
> or the day of a new interpreter release. This is what separates
> interpreted languages from compiled ones; just because you upgrade
> your compiler does not mean new warnings will suddenly show up for the
> compiled languages.

This is the most convincing point I see in favour of disabling
DeprecationWarning by default. Thanks for clearly stating why it applies
only to language interpreter implementations.

> In other words I think having warnings off by default is the best way
> to improve the situation for users while still empowering developers
> to know about things they need to change.

It doesn't sit well with the Python Zen admonitions about errors. But
I guess warnings aren't errors, so are excluded on that basis.

--
 \           “Never express yourself more clearly than you are able to |
  `\                                               think.” —Niels Bohr |