[stdlib-sig] standardizing the deprecation policy (and how noisy they are)

Yuvgoog Greenle ubershmekel at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 23:59:06 CET 2009

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 12:43 AM, Ben Finney
<ben+python at benfinney.id.au<ben%2Bpython at benfinney.id.au>
> wrote:

> Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> writes:
>
> > On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 1:35 PM, Michael Foord <michael at voidspace.org.uk>
> wrote:
> > > Almost no-one is ever going to run Python with PendingDeprecation
> > > warnings switched on, so there should be at least one 'noisy'
> > > release in my opinion.
> >
> > I disagree. [snip]

I learned python from an old book that taught me to raise string exceptions,
noisy warnings about deprecation were the only thing that tipped me off that
something's wrong. As a newb I would have never executed python with any
option at all, no way I would have had enough mileage to hear about such a
thing.

For me back then, python would have just magically broken on a random day.

--yuv