[stdlib-sig] standardizing the deprecation policy (and how noisy they are)

Michael Foord michael at voidspace.org.uk
Sun Nov 8 22:35:30 CET 2009

Brett Cannon wrote:
> During the moratorium PEP discussions Guido said he wanted to quiet
> down deprecation warnings. I see there being two options on this.
>
> One is to keep things as is, but to require two releases with
> PendingDeprecationWarning so there are three years of
> silent-by-default warnings to update your code. But that last release
> before removal came would still be noisy.

This would be my preferred option. Noisy deprecations are annoying for a
*lot* of users, but are also useful to quite a lot of other users /
developers.

Almost no-one is ever going to run Python with PendingDeprecation
warnings switched on, so there should be at least one 'noisy' release in
my opinion.

All the best,

Michael Foord

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/