[stdlib-sig] futures - a new package for asynchronous execution

Jesse Noller jnoller at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 19:23:49 CET 2009

On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 11:47 AM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/11/7 Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net>:
>> I'm not sure this has anything to do with the discussion about futures
>> anyway.
>
> It's not - unless the suggestion that futures get added into
> multiprocessing was serious.
>
> Personally, I like the idea of a "concurrent" namespace -
> concurrent.futures seems like an ideal place for the module.

My point in saying that was to note that I've wanted to add something
like this into multiprocessing for awhile. More expansive use of
context managers to control pools of processes, possibly decorators to
indicate a function should be run in a process, etc.

That all being said; I'm more closely aligned with the concept of
building out/starting a python.concurrent package (starting with the
futures package) and then refactoring some of the multiprocessing API
into that package than I am adding futures right into multiprocessing.

jesse