[stdlib-sig] mac module trouble

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Sat Jun 28 22:57:34 CEST 2008

On 28 Jun, 2008, at 22:15, Benjamin Peterson wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 1:02 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> As for the idea of having a built version with IDLE, as long as
>> someone else can build it from source, that's fine. As Ronald said,
>> sticking the file in Mac/Tools and having the build use those files
>> as
>> needed to build IDLE should be fine if they are truly only funky
>> stuff
>> that IDLE uses.
>
> So long as 2.6 is around we can build the IDLE. Eventually, I think,
> the Mac modules/scripts can be packaged for PyPI.

Most of Mac/Modules and Lib/plat-mac is only of historical interest
anyway. That's the major reason why these got dropped in 3.0. The
Carbon bindings have some interest, but only very limited because the
role of Carbon is getting smaller and smaller in OSX.

I don't think that anyone would be interested in actually maintaining
the Carbon bindings (another reason for dropping them), just
modernizing them to wrap all current APIs instead of whatever was
current in MacOS9 is a lot of work.

Ronald