[stdlib-sig] html package idea

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Wed Feb 20 11:15:20 CET 2008

On Feb 20, 2008 1:59 AM, Christian Heimes <christian at cheimes.de> wrote:

> Brett Cannon wrote:
> > Here is an idea for an html package:
> >
> > htmlentitydefs -> html.entities
> > htmllib -> html.tools
> > HTMLParser -> html.parser
> >
> > What do people think?
>
> +1
>
> What about markupbase and sgml?

markupbase has no public API and has already been renamed _markupbase.

As for sgmllib, since it only exists for htmllib, I say it should be
merged into html.tools since there is no naming conflicts.

But I just realized htmllib itself is a parser for html. So naming it
html.tools seems wrong.

Perhaps it should be:

htmlentitydefs -> html.entities
htmllib -> html.parser
sgmllib -> html.parser
HTMLParser -> html.xparser

That way the two different parsers are both delineated as parsers, but
the fact that HTMLParser handles XHTML is covered.

I will also ask the web-sig if both parsers are really needed.

-Brett