[Speed] Python Performance Benchmark Suite revision request

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 19:19:56 EDT 2017

On 14 September 2017 at 08:48, Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com> wrote:
> There are likely tools to automate these steps.

wagon, for example: https://github.com/cloudify-cosmo/wagon#create-packages

(Although then you have to bootstrap wagon in the destination
environment to handle the install process)

>> We used The Grand Unified Python Benchmark Suite
>> https://hg.python.org/benchmarks in the past, and found that one was very
>> easy to use, with far less dependency, and can be simply zipped and deployed
>> easily.
>
> Yeah, you are right. But it was more complex to add new dependencies
> and update dependencies. As a consequence, we tested softwares which
> were 5 years old... Not really revelant.

It would be useful to provide instructions in the README on how to:

1. Use "pip download --no-binary :all: -r requirements.txt
archive_dir" to get the dependencies on an internet connected machine
2. Use "pip install --no-index --find-links archive_dir -r
requirements.txt" to install from the unpacked archive instead of the
internet

Potentially, performance could gain a subcommand to do the initial
download, and a "performance venv create" option to specify a local
directory to use instead of the index server when installing
dependencies.

Cheers,
Nick.