[Speed] perf 0.2 released, perf fork of CPython benchmark suite

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 09:03:46 EDT 2016

Hi,

I completed the API of my small perf module and released a version 0.2:
https://perf.readthedocs.io/

It is supposed to provide the basic tools to collect samples, compute
the average, display the result, etc. I started to work on JSON
serialization to "easily" run multiple processes. The idea is also to
be split the code to produce numbers and the code to display results.
I expect that we can do better to display results. See for example
speed.python.org and speed.pypy.org, it's nicer than perf.py text
output ;-)

I also started to hack CPython benchmark suite (benchmarks repository)
to use my perf module:
https://hg.python.org/sandbox/benchmarks_perf

I should now stop NIH and see how to merge my work with PyPy fork of
benchmarks ;-)

FYI I started to write the perf module because I started to write an
article about the impact of CPU speed on Python microbenchmarks, and I
wanted to have a smart timeit running multiple processes. Since it was
cool to work on such project, I started to hack benchmarks, but maybe
I gone too far and I should look at PyPy's benchmark instead ;-)

Victor