[Speed] merging PyPy and Python benchmark suite

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Mon Jul 23 23:46:29 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 4:39 PM, Armin Rigo <arigo at tunes.org> wrote:

> Hi Brett,
>
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 10:15 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> > That's what I'm trying to establish; how much have they diverged and if
> I'm
> > looking in the proper place.
>
> bm_mako.py is not from Unladen Swallow; that's why it is in
> pypy/benchmarks/own/.  In case of doubts, check it in the history of
> Hg.  The PyPy version was added from virhilo, which seems to be the
> name of his author, on 2010-12-21, and was not changed at all since
> then.

OK. Maciej has always told me that a problem with the Unladen benchmarks
was that some of them had artificial loop unrolling, etc., so I had assumed
you had simply fixed those instances instead of creating entirely new
benchmarks.

> Hg tells me that there was no change at all in the 'unladen_swallow'
> subdirectory, apart from 'unladen_swallow/perf.py' and adding some
> __init__.py somewhere.  So at least these benchmarks did not receive
> any pypy-specific adapatations.  If there are divergences, they come
> from changes done to the unladen-swallow benchmark suite after PyPy
> copied it on 2010-01-15.

I know that directory wasn't changed, but I also noticed that some
benchmarks had the same name, which is why I thought they were forked
versions of the same-named Unladen benchmarks.

-Brett