[Speed] Buildbot Status

Mark Shannon mark at hotpy.org
Wed Feb 1 12:52:45 CET 2012

Maciej Fijalkowski wrote:

>>> This is up for discussion whether pickle's performance matters or not
>>> (we have it disabled for example, but we might reenable it one day)

>>> No, I think it's a bad idea. First benchmarks should not change. It's
>>> fine to have a py3k benchmark next to py2 one, but we have 0 checkins
>>> to US benchmarks once we imported them.
>>>
>>> Second, I find some of US benchmarks (those with hand unrolled loops,
>>> like json from the newer one) complete nonsense. If it does make any
>>> sense, it makes it only for cpython so we have no interest in having
>>> those benchmarks at all. If someone unrolls loops by hand and have a
>>> performance problem on pypy it's his own problem :)

Doesn't PyPy have a loop re-rolling optimisation? :)

>> Great attitude for a shared, common set of benchmarks. Remind me not to provide additional resources.
>
> Jesse, do you really write code like that:
>
>             json.dumps(DICT)

[snip - Manual loop unrolling (1970s style) :( ]

>             json.dumps(TUPLE)

I think the PyPy benchmarks are better than the US ones,
some of which may have been aimed at a few particular cases
where Google wanted to speed up CPython.

Try running the json or pickle benchmarks with a profiler
(oprofile or similar)
and you will see that they spend most of their time in a single
C module, not much of a benchmark for testing the VM.

It might seem that the PyPy folks were cherry picking,
but I don't think that is the case.

Cheers,
Mark.