[Spambayes] Windows 7 Spambayes Database Problem

Douglas Whitten dewhitten at comcast.net
Fri Jun 24 21:55:58 CEST 2011

Configuration:  Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

                               Outlook 2010

                              SpamBayes 1.1a6

Starting from a clean system (no SpamBayes files or directories) and with
Outlook not running, I install SpamBayes.  It installs fine.  I start
Outlook, and get the SpamBayes add-on startup wizard (where it asks me about
locations for good and bad messages, where to put questionable messages,
etc.).  SpamBayes initializes properly:  I see it in the COM Add-ins list of
Outlook, I see the SpamBayes toolbar, I can access the SpamBayes manager.

I stop Outlook.

I start Outlook.  SpamBayes does not initialize.  Instead I get a SpamBayes
pop-up saying "There was an error initializing the SpamBayes addin.  Please
re-start Outlook and try again.".  Restarting Outlook does not help - I get
the same pop-up.  Outlook still has SpamBayes listed as an active COM
Add-in.  There is no SpamBayes error or log file generated.

Uninstalling and re-installing SpamBayes does not fix the problem.  When I
do this, the very first time I start Outlook, I get the SpamBayes pop-up.

After some experimenting, I believe the problem is with the SpamBayes
database files (default_bayes_database.db and default_message_database.db):

1.       These files are not deleted when I uninstall SpamBayes.  On
installation, they are not overwritten, but remain unchanged.

2.       If I stop Outlook and manually delete these two files, when I start
Outlook, SpamBayes initializes fine (I get the SpamBayes add-on startup
wizard).

These files are located in "c:/users/<user id>/appdata/roaming/spambayes".
I can't see any problems with these files or the directory: Everybody has
read/write/modify/execute permissions on everything.

Anybody have any suggestions I can try, or some more information I can
supply?

Douglas Whitten

dewhitten at comcast.net