[Spambayes] SpamBayes 1.1a4 on Windows XP (correction)

Kyle Allender kylea at netins.net
Tue May 5 21:05:57 CEST 2009

Kyle Allender wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Encountered an error after a clean install of SpamBayes 1.1a4 with
> Thunderbird 2.0.0.21:
>
> *Training...*
>

>      500 Server error
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>
>  File "spambayes\Dibbler.pyc", line 476, in found_terminator
>
>  File "spambayes\UserInterface.pyc", line 561, in onTrain
>
>  File "spambayes\Stats.pyc", line 134, in RecordTraining
>
>  File "spambayes\message.pyc", line 147, in set_persistent_statistics
>
>  File "shelve.pyc", line 130, in __setitem__
>
> TypeError: object does not support item assignment
>

> This error occurred when I was attempting to train on a previously
> collected directory of spam messages.  Any hints?  This is Windows XP SP
> 3, Python 2.6.2.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Per advice, I am attaching the log file for review as well.  I do note
> that the beginning of the log the statement "Service not available."
> I had to manually remove the pop3proxy service after a previous
> installation was failing to stay running after starting up.
>
> I have not yet rebooted since the clean install - I did not
> specifically install a service on this go-round - I didn't see it as
> an option using the GUI installer, either.

After running sb_service.exe -install, I attempted to start the Service
via Service Manager.  The error received was:  "Windows could not start
the SpamBayes Service on Local Computer.  For more information, review
the System Event Log.  If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the
service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 1."

The Application Event Log contains three errors related to SpamBayes:

1:  The SpamBayes proxy service could not be started, as another
SpamBayes server is already running on this machine

2:  The instance's SvcRun() method failed
  File "win32serviceutil.pyc", line 789, in SvcRun
  File "win32serviceutil.pyc", line 760, in ReportServiceStatus
pywintypes.error: (6, 'SetServiceStatus', 'The handle is invalid.')

3:  SetServiceStatus failed setting STOPPED status Error 6 - The handle
is invalid.

Did starting the tray service prevent the SpamBayes service from
running?  Can they both be running at the same time?

A reboot has temporarily seemed to address tis issue.  The service will
start manually (I don't yet have it set to automatic), though training
still fails.  0 messages are classified as spam post-training and the
log shows the attached.  I thought I was following directions pretty
well, but I have apparently missed something somewhere along the line.
Any advice would be appreciated.