[Spambayes] What does this mean?

Eric Johnson ej.spambayes at indicium.org
Sat Jun 20 04:37:44 CEST 2009

On 09-06-18 03:42 AM, skip at pobox.com wrote:
>      Eric>  I tried your suggestion of using "python2.5 setup.py install".
>
>      Eric>  I launch the proxy this way, "python2.5 sb_server.py"
>
> That works, but you're running SpamBayes from your source repository, not
> from the installed location.  Try running
>
>      /usr/local/bin/sb_server.py
>
> instead, or if /usr/local/bin is in your PATH, simply
>
>      sb_server.py
>
>      Eric>  I am no longer getting an error message when training, but I am now
>      Eric>  getting this error message when I am using the configuration pages...
>
>      Eric>  500 Server error
>      Eric>     File "./spambayes/scripts/sb_server.py", line 889, in createWorkers
>      Eric>       self.stats = Stats.Stats(options, self.mdb)
>
>      Eric>     File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/spambayes/Stats.py", line 60,
>      Eric>  in __init__
>      Eric>       self.from_date = self.messageinfo_db.get_statistics_start_date()
>
>      Eric>  AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute
>      Eric>  'get_statistics_start_date'
>
>      Eric>  Is this something different or part of the same problem as before?
>
> This is something new.  Are you trying to train before you're done
> configuring the setup?  I wouldn't think you'd be creating a Stats object
> (the beginning of what I quoted) at that point.
>
> I'm not terribly familiar with the POP3 proxy (sb_server) anymore, and it
> will probably be a day or two before I have a chance to take a look at the
> problem.  In the meantime, double-check that you've completely configured
> the server before trying to do any training.
>
> Skip
>
> .

Thanks for letting me know about the proper path to run the server from,
I'm still getting used to Linux...

What was happening when I was getting that error, was that I was trying
to configure the proxy and when I would tell it to save the settings,
that error message would show up and then I would have to restart the
proxy to be able to do the rest of the configuration.

The funny part of the proxy crashing during configuration is that when I
restart it and go to check the settings, all the settings I wanted, were
in fact saved.

Anyway, I do still get the error message...

500 Server error

Traceback (most recent call last):

   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/spambayes/Dibbler.py", line
476, in found_terminator
     getattr(plugin, name)(**params)

   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/spambayes/UserInterface.py",
line 888, in onChangeopts
     self.reReadOptions()

   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/spambayes/ProxyUI.py", line
587, in reReadOptions
     state = self.state_recreator()

   File "/usr/local/bin/sb_server.py", line 1007, in _recreateState
     prepare()

   File "/usr/local/bin/sb_server.py", line 1022, in prepare
     state.prepare(can_stop)

   File "/usr/local/bin/sb_server.py", line 822, in prepare
     self.createWorkers()

   File "/usr/local/bin/sb_server.py", line 889, in createWorkers
     self.stats = Stats.Stats(options, self.mdb)

   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/spambayes/Stats.py", line 60,
in __init__
     self.from_date = self.messageinfo_db.get_statistics_start_date()

AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute
'get_statistics_start_date'

...whenever the save button is pressed on any of the 3 configuration pages.

Otherwise the proxy works fine and no problem with the "review" page or
when training.

I must say that this spam filter is the best one that I have ever come
across, I just wish the others could be 25% as good.  With training on
as few as 12 ham and 12 spam, I am already getting as few as 0.3% unsure.

Thanks,
Eric