[Spambayes] Windows Mail - Vista

Joel Rosenthal rojo.editor at verizon.net
Sun Jan 13 21:46:21 CET 2008

I just noticed this.

Windows Mail is the replacement for Outlook Express. It comes with Windows
Vista. It is a POP3 mail client, and it probably works with IMAP. Windows
Mail will come with all versions of Windows Vista for the life of Windows
Vista. Windows Live Mail is a different kind of program. You can use it to
replace Windows Mail or Outlook Express on a computer, but Windows Mail will
still continue to come with Windows Vista. WLM is no more the successor to
Windows Mail than Hotmail was to Outlook Express. The same can be said for
Windows Live Search. It is not a successor to the Windows Search Companion,
but it replaces the functionality of the Search Companion when it is
installed.

In the case of Windows XP being a successor to Windows Millennium Edition,
the difference is that Windows Millennium Edition ceased to be available
after the release of Windows XP. Windows Mail continues to come with Windows
Vista. Also, anybody who says "rationalize the different investments we had
in the email space" can't be trusted to  write coherently about anything
else.

If in a future version of Windows, Windows Live Mail replaces Windows Mail,
then it will be the successor to it.