[Spambayes] date for new release to handle image spam?

Seth Goodman sethg at goodmanassociates.com
Fri Jan 5 10:57:37 CET 2007

David Abrahams wrote on Thursday, January 04, 2007 11:46 AM -0600:

> I've got the OCR stuff enabled on Unix.  It definitely works some of
> the time; in X-SpamBayes-Evidence I can see spam words picked out of
> the image that don't appear elsewhere in the message.  There is a
> category of those stock advertisements that seems to be getting past
> the OCR completely; one example is enclosed.  I wish I knew what to do
> to get around that problem.

Image spam is gradually moving in the direction of a captcha:  images
that people can identify but computers can't.  How far they can go
before it becomes so annoying that no one will look at it is anyone's
guess.  As long as people can design effective captcha's, it will be
possible to construct image spam that OCR will not detect.

--
Seth Goodman