[Spambayes] Microsoft Office Outlook has stopped working

Brian Rigsby brigsby at contechsolutions.net
Mon Apr 30 17:37:10 CEST 2007

Help!  Spambayes was working fine for 3 months on my Windows Vista / Outlook
2003 / x86 system.  Recently, my screen went black while watching a video
causing me to power on/power off to reboot.  After restarting, when I launch
Outlook I received "Microsoft Office Outlook has stopped working" when
Spambayes tries to initialize.  I can only get outlook to launch when the
outlook_addin.dll is disabled.  The crash details are app=outlook,
module-unknown, offset=0639aa80, exception=c0000005, data: 00000008.  Here
is what I have tried to-date to fix this (no matter what I try, the crash
still occurs)..and yes, I went through the entire troubleshooting guide!:
1) I Uninstalled/Reinstalled Spambayes 1.1a3 (8 times)
2) I Uninstalled/Reinstalled Spambayes 1.04 (3 times)
3) I Deleted all Spambayes configuration data
4) I tried reregistering the dll (registers succesfully but still outlook
crashes on startup)
5) I rebooted multiple times, tried turning on/off user control in Vista and
installing/uninstalling

Note that the Spambayes installation log shows all is well during install.
Also, there is 4 SpamBayes.log files in my data directory - all are empty,
so whatever is crashing outlook with spambayes occurs before the first item
is written to the log.  I also tried Inboxer, and I receive the same hard
crash after installing (with Spambayes uninstalled, of course).  Cloudmark's
product does install and integrate fine with Outlook, however, but I'm sure
this uses a diff. technology.

Thank you in advance for your help -
Brian