[Spambayes] [spambayes-dev] Probable error in Windows FAQ

Richie Hindle richie at entrian.com
Wed May 17 23:27:24 CEST 2006

Hi Nigel,

> I am prepared to suggest alterations to the Windows FAQ (at least the
> parts that affect Eudora),

Thanks!  All suggestions for improvements are gratefully received.  In the
case of the Eudora content, I personally don't use Eudora so I couldn't
verify any new content - SpamBayes developers, do any of us use Eudora?

> but first I want to have it agreed that I have found an important error.

Ah, I'm sorry, but I don't think we can do that:

> Essentially spam can only be RECEIVED mail from the POP server (or
> IMAP server if you happen to have one). Therefore an SMTP server can
> have nothing to do with the question.

SpamBayes includes an SMTP proxy that can be used to train SpamBayes.  By
forwarding email to either a 'ham' address or a 'spam' address, you can
train SpamBayes without using the web interface.  It's explained in the
FAQ, in point 4 of this question:
http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/faq.html#is-there-a-high-level-summary-that-shows-how-spambayes-works

> Another point is the preferred file format - as public domain are you
> allergic to MS Word 2003? It should be easily convertible to html,
> but Word would be much easier for me to format.

I think most of us could read it using OpenOffice without triggering any
nasty reactions.  8-)

> I am also sending this message to the developer's list as it is not
> 100% clear which is the right one for this case.

I think spambayes-dev at python.org was appropriate - though you might want
to send any suggestions to spambayes at python.org so that they can be
reviewed by non-developer Eudora/SpamBayes users.

--
Richie Hindle
richie at entrian.com