[Spambayes] info please

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Thu Jan 19 09:36:45 CET 2006

> It sounds from the info as spambayes is something I have to install
> on my machine for it to work.

That is correct.

> Just recently I have been getting a lot of mails with [spam bayes
> xx,xx] in the subject
> field. I presume the numbers have to do with the spamminess of the
> message.
> Sometimes I get the same message twice, one has been rated and the
> other hasn't.
> I haven't installed spambayes on my machine - to my knowledge - so
> who's rating it?

SpamBayes doesn't modify subjects in that way.  The most likely
explanation is that someone has built some sort of server-side filter
using the spambayes code (or some other 'Bayesian' filter; the "spam
bayes" could be a coincidence) and that is what is happening.
Assuming that you have control over what software is installed on
your machine, you should check with whoever is in charge of your mail
server (e.g. your ISP's helpdesk).

=Tony.Meyer