[Spambayes] Outlook plugin crash

Coe, Bob rcoe at CambridgeMA.GOV
Tue Jan 17 18:26:46 CET 2006

Can someone with a knowledge of the plugin code tell me whether it
violates the modern fad of scrupulously avoiding the execution of data?
Old-time coders like me used to do it all the time. (You can get away
with it even in recursive and reentrant programs if you're careful.) But
it's considered a security risk today, and the GX620 has a
factory-preset BIOS option to prevent it. During the weekend, after I
sent my original note, I found a program that wouldn't run on my
computer until I disabled that option. I'm wondering now whether I ought
to make another run at Spambayes with the option turned off. Any advice
for me?

Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: spambayes-bounces at python.org [mailto:spambayes-bounces at python.org]
On Behalf Of Coe, Bob
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2006 12:19 PM
To: spambayes at python.org
Subject: [Spambayes] Outlook plugin crash

R. K. Coe

  _____

For as long as I can remember, there has been a trickle of reports of
Spambayes causing hard crashes in Outlook. (I submitted some myself two
or three years ago.) I don't remember whether this particular one has
been reported or not.

Spambayes plugin with Outlook 2002 (Office XP SP3) under Windows Server
2003 SP1. Outlook crashes immediately and blames the crash on Spambayes
when I try to restart. No Spambayes toolbar, nothing in the log;
presumably it doesn't get that far. But in order to get Outlook to
restart, I have to accept Outlook's offer to disable Spambayes. I
reinstalled Spambayes once or twice, which didn't help.

Has anyone gotten Spambayes to run successfully in this configuration?
In fact, has anyone used it at all with WS 2003? This was a newly minted
WS 2003 computer (a Dell Optiplex GX620), and it crashed the first time
(and all subsequent times) I tried to run Outlook/Spambayes. So far,
Outlook runs OK on that machine without Spambayes.

Bob <mailto:rcoe at CambridgeMA.GOV>

MIS Department, City <http://www.cambridgema.gov/>  of Cambridge
831 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge MA 02139  *  617-349-4217  *  fax
617-349-6165