[Spambayes] SpamBayes and Thunderbird, server and username (followup)

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Mon Jan 9 06:08:14 CET 2006

> Here's something I ran into.  I've got 3 email addresses I get with
> Thunderbird (Mozilla).  Each one has a Server, Port, and Username.
> 2 of
> them have the same "username".  Thunderbird won't let me set the
> server
> for those both to "localhost", I had to set one to "127.0.0.1".  I've
> got each looking at a different port, 110, 115, and 120.

This is a Thunderbird bug, not a SpamBayes one - you might wish to
submit a bug report to the Mozilla team (or check to see if one is
already open).  There's no reason why a mail client should prevent
you from having two accounts with the same address & username if the
port is different.

Note that if you need more options, you can muck about with the hosts
file to create more localhost aliases.

> Popfile handled this by making the usernames
> "mail.server.com:username",
> that would eliminate this problem, making all the usernames truly
> unique
> for the localhost server.

Whether to use separate ports or to prepend/append the account onto
the username was a design decision made long ago when the SpamBayes
POP3 proxy was first created.  Using separate ports has various
advantages, so that was the decision that was made.  Either should
work fine.

=Tony.Meyer