[Spambayes] Suddenly can't connect - Solved!

Coe, Bob rcoe at CambridgeMA.GOV
Sun May 22 05:40:19 CEST 2005

What exactly do you mean when you say that the machine name is aliased to localhost? I believe the usual convention is to define localhost as 127.0.0.1. If you literally define localhost as an alias for the machine name (the only direction that makes any sense), you make the definition of localhost dependent on a DNS resolution. If you can't see your name server, localhost won't be defined. Since nowadays the principal value of a Hosts file is to compensate for a missing or inadequate name server, this would be a serious misconfiguration. The reason I bring this up is that it sort of fits your symptoms: the problem you describe might occur if and only if your DNS server were unavailable.

Bob