[Spambayes] FW: Help requested and received from Tony Meyer

Jeremy Labram Jeremy.Labram at Charteris.com
Fri May 13 12:55:22 CEST 2005

Tony,

Thanks your suggestion and explanations - your fix was correct and I'm
back up and running again.

Jeremy

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Meyer [mailto:tameyer at ihug.co.nz]
Sent: 13 May 2005 00:02
To: Jeremy Labram; spambayes at python.org
Subject: RE: [Spambayes] Help requested

> Sorry - here is the latest log file
[...]
> bsddb._db.DBRunRecoveryError: (-30982, 'DB_RUNRECOVERY:
> Fatal error, run database recovery -- fatal region error
> detected; run recovery')

Please see FAQ 5.2:

<http://spambayes.org/faq.html#i-get-a-dbrunrecoveryerror-message>

> The spam filter is recognising as spam stuff that for many
> months was recognised correctly as ham.
> The tool bar does not work

Both of these problems are most likely caused by the dead database.

> This is just a feeling but when you do fairly radical stuff
> like deleting files and reinstalls that the app should spend
> some time reconfiguring and learning again which it doesn't
> seem to.  It did not appear to be a clean uninstall.

If you manually delete the database, then you would need to retrain.  If
you
manually delete the configuration file, you'd need to reconfigure.  An
uninstall doesn't remove your user data (which includes both of these) -
this is pretty common behaviour for an uninstall, and facilitates
upgrading/reinstalling, and so on.

A future version of SpamBayes will have an optional "uninstall user
data"
option:

[ 1172348 ] Add option to uninstall all data
<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1172348&group_
id=6
1702&atid=498106>

=Tony.Meyer

This message to Charteris plc has been checked for viruses
http://www.charteris.com/