[Spambayes] Config Help Needed - WinXP & OE

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Fri Jun 3 05:08:58 CEST 2005

> I'm in need of some config help with SB v1.0.4 on a
> WinXP/Pro machine running Outlook Express v6.00.
> Installation went smooth and sb_tray.exe is installed
> and running. Configuration held no surprises, but when
> I attempt to receive mail from my POP3 service I get
> the following message:
[...]
> Server: 'localhost', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995,
> Secure(SSL): Yes
[...]

The problem here is that you're connecting via SSL, which SpamBayes 1.0.4
doesn't support (1.1 will, at least between the proxy and the server).
There are three possible solutions:

  1.  Don't use SSL (this isn't really a good solution, but it would work).

  2.  Use a tool like stunnel, as described here:
<http://www.engelassociates.net/email.html> (just ignore the Eudora/Gmail
specific stuff).

  3.  The source in CVS supports essentially the same system as in #2, but
without needing stunnel.  You could run from source and it should work
(unfortunately the 1.1a1 sb_server/sb_tray have problems, so using that
isn't really a good idea).  That would mean installing Python
<http://python.org/download>, the pywin32 extensions
<http://pywin32.sf.net>, and checking out a copy of the CVS source
<http://sf.net/projects/spambayes>.

=Tony.Meyer