[Spambayes] 1.0.2 and msvcrt71.dll

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Fri Jan 28 00:03:57 CET 2005

(One big reply to all).

Bugger.

The machines I tested the binary on all have multiple copies of msvcr71.dll
(including in windows\system32) so I didn't come across this.

Microsoft say:

"""
An application should use and redistribute msvcr71.dll, and it should avoid
placing a copy or using an existing copy of msvcr71.dll in the system
directory. Instead, the application should keep a copy of msvcr71.dll in its
application directory with the program executable.
"""

<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vclib/html
/_crt_c_run.2d.time_libraries.asp>

Unfortunately I was not aware of this issue before today.  From what that
says, I believe that the SpamBayes binary needs to package up the
msvcrt71.dll like the python24.dll.  It's an easy fix.

I will get a 1.0.3 done today, ASAP.  I'm already reaching for the brown
paper bag...

[Andrew Chase]
> I'm currently using binary version .81 and it works great.
> I've downloaded SpamBayes (3.25mb). When I try to install
> I get error "This application has failed to start because
> MSVCR71.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may
> fix this problem" (it doesn't).

Note that you can use 1.0.1, which does include improvements to the Outlook
plug-in compared to .81, and that should work fine.

[Dean Bettinger]
> I had the same problem.  Grabbing the DLL from another PC
> and putting it in the proper location and then re-running
> the install resolved the problem.

Yes, this will only be a problem for those that don't have mscr71.dll
somewhere on their PATH already.

> First time I've ever experienced an error upgrading SpamBayes
> and I've done all the upgrades over the last 20 months or so.

The problem (if I understand it correctly) is that I used Python 2.4 to
build it (it's always been 2.3 in the past) which changed from being itself
built with VC6 to VC7.

[Bob Coe]
> Tony's announcement notes that this release was built using a
> new version of Python. It won't surprise me if that turns out
> to be the problem.

Yes.  There was discussion about mscvrt71.dll on python-dev a little while
back, but not enough to make me realise that this would be a problem,
unfortunately.

> I guess we'll be seeing 1.0.3 RSN.

Indeed (as above).

[Jim Robertson]
> Tried to up-grade to v1.0.2 and no luck.  Seems file MSVCR71.dll
> is not found.  Search says it is not on my C; drive.

As Jessie said, this is a problem with the installer, and (as above) 1.0.3
will be out today and should fix it.  My apologies for the difficulty &
confusion.

[Jesse Pelton]
> [Developers: see redist.txt in a Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
> 2003 installation directory for proof that this file may be
> redistributed.]

I don't have VS .Net of any type, so can't do that, but will assume that the
website quoted above is good enough.  Seems damn stupid to me, having dozens
of copies of the same .dll everywhere, but I suppose Microsoft have a good
reason <0.5 wink>.

[Taed Wynnell]
> First off, I've been running 1.0.1 for a while with no issues,
> so this is something new about 1.0.2.
>
> I installed 1.0.2 this morning, it seemed to install fine, and
> after restarting Outlook, SpamBayes appears dead.

This is slightly different to the other reports, but I assume it has the
same cause (or maybe there is a msvcrt71.dll, but it's different somehow?).
I hope so, anyway (and the report that manually installing msvcrt71.dll
fixed the problem is promising).

[Dean Taylor]
> It just stepped working and neither of the buttons in Outlook
> XP respond.  I could not find any log file either.  I am using
> the newest version.  What to do?

This is like Taed's report, so again I assume it is the same problem.
Either revert to 1.0.1 or wait an hour or so and upgrade to 1.0.3.

[Kenneth Sole]
> I happened to have the DLL because it is part of the MS search
> tool called Lookout. That tool is available at:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6n5aw

It's include in hundreds of different things (including something that I
have - I don't know what - that installed it in Windows/System32 where
anything can find it).

> If you then put the DLL in C:\Program Files\SpamBayes\bin the
> installation will be happy.

Or if it is simply somewhere on the PATH, where SpamBayes can find it.

=Tony.Meyer