[Spambayes] Where are spambayes logs? linux version

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Wed Jan 5 03:35:31 CET 2005

> Can someone please point me in the right direction to find the spambayes
> logs on a linux system (I'm using SuSE 9.1 specifically).  I'm using
> sb_server.py and it appears that the logs should be stored in a file
> that has a name like _pop3proxy.log.  However, I have not been able to
> find such a beast on my system.

When running from source, all the SpamBayes scripts output everything to either stdout or stderr, so all log information will go to the console by default, or whereever you decide to pipe it to.  It's only the binary (Windows) versions (which don't have a console to output to) that log to files, although there has been some discussion in the past of moving to the Python logging package (that would be quite a bit of work, though, and isn't likely to happen even for 1.1).

There are two exceptions I can think of for sb_server:

 1. if you run with [globals] verbose set to True (e.g. 'python sb_server.py -o globals:verbose:True') then the POP3 conversations are logged to a file called _pop3proxy.log in the current working directory.

 2. if you use the 'train' box on the main page of the web interface, the trained messages are saved into a mbox file (_pop3proxy_[sp|h]am.mbox?  something like that), again in the current working directory.

=Tony.Meyer

--
Please always include the list (spambayes at python.org) in your replies (reply-all), and please don't send me personal mail about SpamBayes.