[Spambayes] I've installed Norton AntiVirus 2006 and now Spambayes is struggling

Harry Sigerson harrysigerson at ntlworld.com
Sat Dec 24 11:59:55 CET 2005

Dear Mailing list,
     I may be blaming NAV2006 (which I recently upgraded to) for this
next when it is not its fault. I'm saying this because I've been
using the earlier NAV2004 and an even earlier version of NAV for
years and there has been no conflict.

     I use the OLR 'Virtual Access' as my email agent and of course
during all the time that it was running fine I was using the
'localhost' setting in the SpamBayes POP3 and SMTP servers' fields;
and of course putting the POP3 & SMTP Proxy Options in the
Configuration page.
     I've got the 'SpamBayes Ports:' field in the POP3 Proxy Options
set to 110; its always been set at that.
     In the SMTP Proxy Options that to has its SpamBayes Ports: set
to 110 {though frankly in the bit of messing about in which I've done
trying to fix why SpamBayes stopped working well, I can't remember if
it has always been set at 110?
     Perhaps it should be set to 25 (a number comes out of the mists)
- I'll go and try that...
     ...I've tried that 25 in the SMTP Proxy Options and I've tried
the 110. Both seem to work in the sense that the blink does not break
down. Perhaps it doesn't matter which is used?
     Of course what I may simply be short of is messages all there is
so far in this new start is about half a dozen messages all of which
have been trained as 'ham'.
     I guess I'll send this off in any case, if only to have that
110/25 question resolved.

     Regards,
     Harry Sigerson.